Laptop / DVD drive issue

Reaction score
Website
www.nerdface.co.uk
I know I'm not following the suggested structure, I don't have the information to hand right now.. :p

My 17" laptop has gone through x2 internal DVD drives - they intermittently stopped being recognised by the laptop at all, and both completely stopped reading / writing discs.

I recently bought an external DVD drive, and it reads discs fine but I get a "power calibration area" error when trying to write DVDs. I've done the obvious and searched Google, which seems to point to poor quality media and/or a dirty laser on the drive.

I've tested the external DVD drive on both my work PC and my wife's laptop, and it burnt a disc using the same media just fine.. I've tried burning at the minimum speed. I've tested x3 different USB cables including one that draws power from an additional USB port. I've looked into various suggestions regarding disabling / enabling an IMAPI service which isn't listed in Windows 10. I've tried upgrading my PC BIOS, and have searched for possible driver updates for the drive.. Nothing seems to help.

I'm thinking it's likely to be a BIOS setting via an "Advanced" menu, which is frustratingly hidden and would require finding and running a modified BIOS - or I just need to try giving the laser a good clean despite it being a new drive..

The laptop is a HP Pavilion, and the external DVD drive is a slim LG. Anyone have any further thoughts?

TechDan

Administrator
Reaction score
Interesting issue, how old is the laptop? It almost sounds like there may be an issue with your motherboard not pushing enough power through. Do you have the original battery and power adapter?

I would be slightly concerend that you have a motherboard issue.

Reaction score
Website
www.nerdface.co.uk
The laptop is about 7 years old, bought new directly from HP.

Yes it's the original battery and power adapter. My wife's laptop is a very similar model so could at least test an alternative power adapter.

A motherboard issue is entirely possible, I did encounter a couple of weird issues when I had Windows 8 on it though they did seem to be resolved with Windows 10.. I assumed it was a software problem, but it could have been hardware..

Reactions: TechDan