Monitor count

TechDan

Administrator
Reaction score
How many monitors do you have connected to your computer? The computer I am using right now has 4 external monitors plus the laptop monitor.

Ash

Reaction score
Website
aakashpereira.co.uk
I have a laptop so only 1 screen for me. But even I did have a desktop, I probably would only have one monitor because I just don't see the point in having more than one.

Reaction score
Website
www.nerdface.co.uk
My work computer has 2 monitors connected. I wouldn't want any more than that, I initially struggled to adapt to 2 as it made me feel dizzy.

Similar to @Ash, at home I use a laptop so just the 1 screen there!

Reactions: Ash

Ash

Reaction score
Website
aakashpereira.co.uk
My work computer has 2 monitors connected. I wouldn't want any more than that, I initially struggled to adapt to 2 as it made me feel dizzy.

Similar to @Ash, at home I use a laptop so just the 1 screen there!
What is the actual purpose of having more than 2 monitors? Is it like having a split screen thing on the laptop but better since you split it between the two monitors? I understand the need for it for gaming sometimes, just don't see the need for office work etc.

Reaction score
Website
www.nerdface.co.uk
Primarily to make it easier to analyse / copy data.

For example, if you have a spreadsheet of data that you need to copy the values from to a database. In the field of IT Technicianary (I don't think that's a word.. meh), I guess a third monitor could be used to actively monitor server performance or something if you really wanted to.. *shrug*

TechDan

Administrator
Reaction score
For me working with an MSP. I typically will have my e-mail always up on one screen, our remote access and monitoring software on one screen, a web browser up on one screen, our ticketing system up on another screen and then any active remote sessions on the other. Then, without flipping between windows I can get to what I need in a timely fashion. So that's how I justify the amount of monitors I use :p

Reaction score
Website
senselessblogger.com
I only have one because I had to downsize. I'm in a smaller room with a smaller desk. Once I get out of here though I'll be getting a way bigger setup and will probably have two monitors setup.

Reaction score
I have two monitors for desktop, and a laptop at home. I agree with Nerdface that having multiple monitors helps me to analyze and copy data. Usually, my left monitor contains my email, browser and messenger. The other monitor contains applications such as MS Office, programming tools, and sometimes remote connection to servers.

Reaction score
I have two 24" monitors at my office which I connect to my MacBook - at home I only use my 15" MacBook Pro (2017) or 27" iMac. The monitors I use at the office are AOC's, which I purchased for roughly $200 each. They're pretty nice - the colours are displayed well and you can rotate them.

TechDan

Administrator
Reaction score
@Mace those are some nice looking monitors. I will have to get a picture of my monitor setup at work. It looks like I run a control center :p

Reactions: Mace
Reaction score
@Mace those are some nice looking monitors. I will have to get a picture of my monitor setup at work. It looks like I run a control center :p
They really are good value for their money, especially if you need the colours to be correct for designing. I am planning on placing two on both other desks as well.

It looks like you're running a control center? I think that would drive me crazy, haha! I like having a simple set-up.

TechDan

Administrator
Reaction score
They really are good value for their money, especially if you need the colours to be correct for designing. I am planning on placing two on both other desks as well.

It looks like you're running a control center? I think that would drive me crazy, haha! I like having a simple set-up.
Haha, yeah. I have a monitor stand that clamps to my desk and holds 4 monitors not including my laptop.