Websites

Ash

Reaction score
Website
aakashpereira.co.uk
Have you guys ever run a website and if so what kind of websites have you started?

I have run several websites, the biggest of which was a gaming social network that I developed myself using Python. I ended up selling that recently and now I'm onto my next project which is a sort of webmaster blog helping people with different aspects of starting and running a site.

Would you ever start a website if you haven't already?

Reactions: TechDan

TechDan

Administrator
Reaction score
I've started a Promotion forum quite a few years back that was moderately successful...though my choices for software were a little sketchy using nulled IPB and what not. Also I was young so that project hit the fan pretty quick...I also briefly started a forum called GeeksThink (I think that was the name) but ended up closing it...kinda before it really started because there was a lot of change happening in my life

That's just a short list...I've done some other projects as well.

Reaction score
Website
senselessblogger.com
I have had a lot of websites in my time. I've had a black hat forum that was huge until I told it. I had a few general forums that were also pretty popular but medium sized. I've had blogs that did alright. I had a site where people could watch movies online. I love running sites.

Reaction score
I had a fan website for a specific game called 12Sky. I made the website myself from scratch with HTML. Back in 2010.

Reaction score
After college graduation, my friends and I decided to build a forum for our college organization. We used php and mysql as back-end. Way back then, I’m only involved on the user interface design and communications with other alumni, not on the programming side. I'm one of the moderators in the forum. After some time, we decided to close it due to funding and other priorities.

To build a personal website is actually one of my goals. I was not able to do so due to time constraints at work and at home. Most of the websites that I have been running are for clients. These websites are usually running on .Net or Windows platforms. There is a also a Wix website that I developed that contains the AVP or photo slideshows. Now, I'm also thinking of starting a blog, and looking at Wordpress.

Reaction score
I have a blog that I started in 2017. The blog has now started to generate some revenue. My blog is on parenting niche. I am also planning to launch an online shop, however, I am yet to decide on the niche.

TechDan

Administrator
Reaction score
Right now I'm just focusing on my blog. I hope I can end up just blogging for a living. lol
That's sure be nice. I tried starting up a hosting company a few times back in the day but I couldn't afford to fund it.

Reaction score
That's sure be nice. I tried starting up a hosting company a few times back in the day but I couldn't afford to fund it.
What kind of hosting services you were offering when you had a hosting company. Was is a reseller hosting? I may never start my own hosting, I do not have money to set up servers for hosting and I do not have technical skills, however, I have often thought about reseller hosting.

TechDan

Administrator
Reaction score
What kind of hosting services you were offering when you had a hosting company. Was is a reseller hosting? I may never start my own hosting, I do not have money to set up servers for hosting and I do not have technical skills, however, I have often thought about reseller hosting.
I have done reseller hosting in the past and I've attempted hosting with a VPS it just became to much of an expense.

Reaction score
I have done reseller hosting in the past and I've attempted hosting with a VPS it just became to much of an expense.
I have never tried VPS hosting, my experience with my site hosting is only shared hosting. I started with shared hosting and I am still with shared hosting. Well, if you get a lot of traffic and if you deal with a lot of data, shared hosting might not be good, however, for a small blog like mine, shared hosting is never a problem.

TechDan

Administrator
Reaction score
I have never tried VPS hosting, my experience with my site hosting is only shared hosting. I started with shared hosting and I am still with shared hosting. Well, if you get a lot of traffic and if you deal with a lot of data, shared hosting might not be good, however, for a small blog like mine, shared hosting is never a problem.
Definitely, with a blog a shared host is likely to be plenty. Unless of course you start getting so much traffic that you're hogging resources. Then you'd want to consider changing to something where your website would be more isolated.

Reaction score
Website
www.nerdface.co.uk
I've ran a few forums / websites in the past, largely on vBulletin (2.x and 3.x).
Umbrella Online, Gamers Euphoria, and Gaming Voice.

I grew disheartened and didn't bother for a while until recently with Nerdface.. I'm quite enjoying it again! :)

Reaction score
I am working on some new projects like WordPress BuddyPress and angular, I got help from some top forums and also ask around my circle, but for managing multiple websites on same time was quite difficult, to manage all this I am using Cloudways managed WordPress hosting for all my WordPress projects and Magento hosting for my Magento projects. You may choose them for a better environment.

Last edited by a moderator:

TechDan

Administrator
Reaction score
@alexmorco That's pretty good, I have heard that Managed wordpress hosting is pretty great in terms of performance and support.